Information from the New York City Department of Education
If your child was born in 2008 and resides within New York City, your child is eligible for the free Universal Prekindergarten (UPK) programs located at public elementary schools and community-based organizations (CBOs).
- Public School UPK programs require an application submitted by April 5 (Thursday). All applications received by April 5 are treated equally; there is no first-come, first-served rule for Public School UPK programs. You can apply on-line at www.nyc.gov/schools/prek or you can apply in-person at a Department of Education Borough Enrollment Office.
- UPK programs at Community-Based Organization sites are different. Admissions is “rolling” and each site has different guidelines and a different number of seats available. A list of all CBO UPK programs is posted at www.nyc.gov/schools/prek. You should contact the CBO you are interested and ask about the number of seats available and the admissions guidelines.
To learn more about Pre-Kindergarten admissions, attend an information session from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm on one of these dates.
- March 12 – Brooklyn – Sunset Park High School, 153 35th Street
- March 15 – Manhattan – The High School of Fashion Industries, 225 W. 24th Street
- March 19 – Queens – Flushing High School, 35-01 Union Street
- March 20 – Bronx – P.S. 121, 2750 Throop Avenue
- March 22 – Staten Island – P.S. 69, 144 Keating Place
If you missed a meeting or you want more information, then you can take one or more of the following actions:
- Call 718-935-2009
- Go to www.nyc.gov/schools/prek
Text “prek” to 877877